"Charles" by Shirley Jackson
1. Explain where each of these parts occur in this story:
a. Introduction of characters
b. The situation: Initial conflict
c. The generating circumstances
d. Rising action
f. falling action and Conclusion. These two are also known as a denouement.
2. Give a definition of the term “setting”. What is the setting of this story? Consider time, place and social condition.
3. Describe, in great detail, the personalities of Laurie and his parents. Does your opinion of them change as the story progresses?
4. Give a definition of the term “theme”.
5. What is the theme of this “story”? Support your answer with examples